Verbe égal au Très‑Haut
Language: French (Français)
Verbe égal au Très-Haut,
notre unique espérance,
jour éternel de la terre et des cieux,
de la paisible nuit nous rompons le silence;
Divin Sauveur, jette sur nous les yeux;
répands sur nous le feu de ta grâce puissante
que tout l'enfer fuie au son de ta voix.
Dissipe le sommeil d'une âme languissante
qui la conduit à l'oubli de tes lois!
O Christ sois favorable à ce peuple fidèle
pour te bénir maintenant rassemblé;
reçois les chants qu'il offre
à ta gloire immortelle,
et de tes dons qu'il retourne comblé.
Translation(s): ENG GER ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Ivo Zandhuis
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Ahmed E. Ismail) , "Canticle of Jean Racine", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Canticum zur Matutin", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Cantico di Jean Racine", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2004-12-01.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:11
Line count: 14
Word count: 91
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Canticle of Jean Racine
Language: English after the French (Français)
Word equal to the Most High,
our unique hope,
eternal day of the earth and of the heavens,
we break the silence of the peaceful night;
Divine Saviour, cast your eyes upon us;
Spread out over us the fire of your mighty grace
so that hell itself flees at the sound of your voice.
Dispel the slumber of a pining soul
which drives it to forget your laws!
O Christ, show favor to these faithful people
now assembled to praise you.
Receive these songs that they offer
to your immortal glory,
and these full offerings returned to you.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2006 by Ahmed E. Ismail, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in French (Français) by Jean Racine (1639 - 1699), "Verbe égal au Très-Haut" GER ITA
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Gabriel Fauré. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2006-06-10.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:19
Line count: 14
Word count: 98