Oscuro è il ciel
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the Aeolic Greek
Oscuro è il ciel;
Nell'onde la luna già s'asconde
E in seno al mar le Plejadi
Già discendendo van.
E l'ora passa frattanto,
E sola qui sulle piume
Ancora veglio ed attendo in van.
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, adapted by Henry Thornton Wharton (1846 - 1895) , no title FRE FRE GER GER ITA ITA RUS SWE GER by Granville Ransome Bantock, Sir.
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist ENG GER GER ITA ITA RUS SWE GER by Charles Chaynes.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Walter Jens (b. 1923) , copyright © [an adaptation] ENG FRE FRE ITA ITA RUS SWE by Aribert Reimann.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist ENG FRE FRE ITA ITA RUS SWE by Mathilde von Kralik.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Rudolf Bach (1901 - 1957) , copyright © ENG ENG FRE FRE ITA ITA RUS SWE by Hermann Reutter.
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), a translation by Salvatore Quasimodo (1901 - 1968) , copyright © [an adaptation] ENG FRE FRE GER GER RUS SWE GER by Goffredo Petrassi.
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Vyacheslav Ivanovich Ivanov (1866 - 1949) , "Ожидание", appears in Сапфо и Алкей (Sapfo i Alkej) ENG FRE FRE GER GER ITA ITA SWE GER by Arthur Vincent Lourié.
- Also set in Swedish (Svenska), a translation by Gustaf Emil Zilliacus (1878 - 1961) , copyright © ENG FRE FRE GER GER ITA ITA RUS GER by Staffan Björklund.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Juan Henríquez Concepción) , "Oscuro está el cielo", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2003-09-29T00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16T10:01:38
Line count: 8
Word count: 36
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Oscuro está el cielo
Language: Spanish (Español) after the Italian (Italiano)
Oscuro está el cielo: en las olas
la luna se esconde,
y en el seno del mar las Pléyades
Es medianoche, y la hora
pasa mientras tanto, y sola
aquí sobre el lecho de plumas
las veo y espero en vano.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to Spanish (Español) copyright © 2010 by Juan Henríquez Concepción, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Juan Henríquez Concepción. Contact:
<juanhenriquez (AT) ayuntamientodetelde (DOT) org>
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2010-06-01T00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16T10:03:45
Line count: 8
Word count: 43