Hodie Christus natus est [Hodie]1 Salvator apparuit, Hodie in terra canunt angeli, Laetantur archangeli, Hodie exultant justi, dicentes: Gloria in excelsis Deo, [Et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis.]1
by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643)
?. Hodie Christus natus est  [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Bible or other Sacred Texts , a medieval paraphrase of Luke 2:11, 13-14 and Psalm 33:1 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
See other settings of this text.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Lau Kanen) , "Vandaag is Christus geboren", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Aujourd'hui le Christ est né", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Heute ist Christus geboren", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Note: in the Gabrieli version, "alleluia" is added at the end of lines 1,2,4, and 7; in the Sweelinck version, "alleluia" is added at the end of line 2, and "Noe!" is added at the end of lines 1 and 4.
1 Monteverdi: "Alleluia" ; omitted by Sweelinck.
Researcher for this text: Thomas Jaenicke