Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
A Erst sitzt er eine Weile, Die Stirn von Wolken frei; Auf einmal [kömmt]1 in Eile Sein ganz Gesicht der Eule Verzerrtem Ernste bei. B [Sie fragen]2 was das sei, Lieb' oder Langeweile? C Ach! sie sind's alle Zwei!
1 Zelter: "kommt"
2 Zelter: "Ihr fraget"
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Der Misanthrop" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "Der Misanthrop", 2012 [high voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Bernhard Theodor Breitkopf (1749 - 1820), "Der Misanthrop", published 1770 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Friedrich Zelter (1758 - 1832), "Der Misanthrop", 1812? [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "The misanthrope", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 11
Word count: 39
A First he sits for a while, His forehead unclouded; Suddenly in great haste His whole face assumes The ghastly seriousness of an owl. B You ask what that might be, Love or boredom? C Ah! it is both of them!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Der Misanthrop"
This text was added to the website: 2013-10-31
Line count: 11
Word count: 41