Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
A Erst sitzt er eine Weile, Die Stirn von Wolken frei; Auf einmal [kömmt]1 in Eile Sein ganz Gesicht der Eule Verzerrtem Ernste bei. B [Sie fragen]2 was das sei, Lieb' oder Langeweile? C Ach! sie sind's alle Zwei!
1 Zelter: "kommt"
2 Zelter: "Ihr fraget"
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Der Misanthrop" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "Der Misanthrop", 2012 [high voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Bernhard Theodor Breitkopf (1749 - 1820), "Der Misanthrop", published 1770 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Friedrich Zelter (1758 - 1832), "Der Misanthrop", 1812? [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "The misanthrope", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 11
Word count: 39
A First he sits for a while, His forehead unclouded; Suddenly in great haste His whole face assumes The ghastly seriousness of an owl. B You ask what that might be, Love or boredom? C Ah! it is both of them!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Der Misanthrop"
Text added to the website: 2013-10-31 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:22
Line count: 11
Word count: 41