Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Chor Du hast in deines Ärmels Falten Den Mond getragen, ihn gespalten. Kaaba! Mahomet! Du hast den strahlenden Borak bestiegen Zum siebenten Himmel aufzufliegen, Großer Prophet! Kaaba!
- by August von Kotzebue (1761 - 1819), appears in Die Ruinen von Athen [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827), "Chor der Derwische", op. 113 no. 4 (1811) [chorus and orchestra], from the cantata Die Ruinen von Athen = The Ruins of Athens, no. 4. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Chœur des derviches", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Christian Anderson
This text was added to the website: 2011-03-04
Line count: 7
Word count: 27
Chœur Dans les plis de tes manches Tu as porté la lune, tu l'as divisée. Kaaba ! Mahomet ! Tu as monté la rayonnante Al-Borak, Volé jusqu'au septième ciel, Grand prophète ! Kaaba !
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2014 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by August von Kotzebue (1761 - 1819), appears in Die Ruinen von Athen
This text was added to the website: 2014-01-14
Line count: 7
Word count: 34