Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Licht! mehr Licht! Des Dichters Heil Vermächtniss, dies Wort war's gross Jahrhundert, und millionenmal, tönt es im Wiederhall: Licht! mehr Licht! Verleihend Kraft den Geistern rief's der Natur das "Werde!" Drum alles strebt nach dir, Darum verlangen wir. Licht! mehr Licht! Licht ist die Lieb', ist Leben, ist Macht und edle Freiheit, hinauf im hellen Chor, zu dem Licht empor! Licht! mehr Licht! Das Wort "Licht soll es werden," Sprach schaffend Gott allmächtig, Noch fehlt's an Dunkel nicht, So gebe Gott nur Licht. Licht! mehr Licht!
- by Franz Adolf Friedrich von Schober (1796 - 1882) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz (Ferenc) Liszt (1811 - 1886), "Licht! mehr Licht!", S. 84 no. 1 (1849). [men's chorus, 3 trombones, and tuba] [text verified 1 time]
- by Franz (Ferenc) Liszt (1811 - 1886), "Licht! mehr Licht!", S. 84 no. 2 (1856). [men's chorus, 2 trumpets, and 3 trombones] [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "De la lumière ! Plus de lumière !", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Light, more light!", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2010-02-03
Line count: 21
Word count: 86
Light, more light! The poet's legacy of salvation, This word was the great one of the century, And a million times It echoes forth: Light, more light! Giving strength to the spirits, It commanded nature to be. Thus everything strives toward it, For that we yearn. Light, more light! Light is love, is life, [Light is] power and noble freedom, Upward in a bright choir, Up toward the light! Light, more light! The word "Let there be light," Almighty God spoke it in creation, There is no dearth of darkness, Therefore may God give only light. Light, more light!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2014-01-23
Line count: 21
Word count: 99