Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Unser Feind ist, grosser Gott, Wie der Brite so der Schott. Manchen hat er unentwegt Auf das Streckbett hingelegt. Täglich wird er kecker. O du Strecker!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Alfred Kerr (1867 - 1948), no title [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Georg Strauss (1864 - 1949), "Unser Feind ist, grosser Gott", op. 66 no. 7 (1918), from Krämerspiegel, no. 7. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Notre ennemi est, grand Dieu", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , no title, copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Matthias Fletzberger
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-09-13 15:46:19
Line count: 6
Word count: 26
Notre ennemi est, grand Dieu, Comme le Britannique, l'Écossais, Souvent maint homme par lui a été Sur le chevalet allongé. Chaque jour il devient plus hardi -- Ô Étireur !
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2014 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2014-08-03 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-08-03 12:36:15
Line count: 6
Word count: 29