Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Mir ist so weh ums Herz, Mir ist, als ob ich weinen möchte Vor Schmerz! Gedankensatt Und lebensmatt Möcht' ich das Haupt hinlegen in die Nacht der Nächte!
- by Karl August Candidus (1817 - 1872), "Schwermut", appears in Vermischte Gedichte, first published 1869 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Schwermut", op. 58 (Acht Lieder und Gesänge) no. 5 (1871), published 1872 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Melancholy", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Mélancolie", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Zwaarmoedigheid", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 7
Word count: 28
’t Is mij zo droef om ’t hart, Het is, als zou ik willen huilen Van smart! Het denken zat En levensmat Zou ‘k graag mijn hoofd neerleggen In de nacht der nachten!
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to Dutch (Nederlands) copyright © 2014 by Lau Kanen, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., please ask the copyright-holder(s) directly.
Lau Kanen.  Contact: lcpkanen (AT) gmail (DOT) com
If the copyright-holder(s) are unreachable for three business days, please write to:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Karl August Candidus (1817 - 1872), "Schwermut", appears in Vermischte Gedichte, first published 1869
This text was added to the website: 2014-08-05
Line count: 7
Word count: 33