Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Mir ist so weh ums Herz, Mir ist, als ob ich weinen möchte Vor Schmerz! Gedankensatt Und lebensmatt Möcht' ich das Haupt hinlegen in die Nacht der Nächte!
- by Karl August Candidus (1817 - 1872), "Schwermut", appears in Vermischte Gedichte, first published 1869 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Schwermut", op. 58 (Acht Lieder und Gesänge) no. 5 (1871), published 1872 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Melancholy", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Mélancolie", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Zwaarmoedigheid", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:23
Line count: 7
Word count: 28
Mon cœur est si douloureux, Il me semble que je veux pleurer De douleur ! Saturé de pensées Et las de la vie, Je voudrais poser ma tête Dans cette nuit des nuits !
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2012 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Karl August Candidus (1817 - 1872), "Schwermut", appears in Vermischte Gedichte, first published 1869
Text added to the website: 2012-09-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:02
Line count: 7
Word count: 34