Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Nichts vom Vergänglichen, Wie's auch geschah! Uns zu verewigen Sind wir ja da.
About the headline (FAQ)Confirmed with Goethe’s Gedichte. Zweyter Theil., Stuttgart und Tübingen: in der J.G. Cotta’schen Buchhandlung, 1829, page 303.
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Goethe's Werke. Vollständige Ausgabe, letzter Hand, Band III, in 8. Zahme Xenien [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Regal", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Puntdicht", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Gift", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Présent", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 13
Rien de l'éphémère, Comment cela se fait ! Nous, pour rendre éternel, Nous sommes là pour ça.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2014 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Goethe's Werke. Vollständige Ausgabe, letzter Hand, Band III, in 8. Zahme Xenien
This text was added to the website: 2014-08-12
Line count: 4
Word count: 17