Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Audivi vocem de caelo venientem: venite omnes virgines sapientissime; oleum recondite in vasis vestris dum sponsus advenerit. Media nocte clamor factus est: ecce sponsus venit.
- Singable translation by Bible or other Sacred Texts , Matthew 25:4-6 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Thomas Tallis (c1505 - 1585), "Audivi vocem de caelo venientem" [SATB chorus a cappella] [text verified 1 time]
- by John Taverner (1490 - 1545), "Audivi vocem de caelo venientem" [SATB chorus a cappella] [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "J'ai entendu une voix qui venait du ciel", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2014-10-24 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-11-29 10:26:43
Line count: 6
Word count: 25
J'ai entendu une voix qui venait du ciel : Venez toutes les vierges sages ; Remplissez d'huile vos lampes Car l'époux arrive. Au milieu de la nuit il y eut un cri : Voici l'époux qui arrive.
- Translation from Latin to French (Français) copyright © 2014 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2014-11-29 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-11-29 10:27:06
Line count: 6
Word count: 37