There is a wind where the rose was; Cold rain where sweet grass was; And clouds like sheep Stream o'er the steep Grey skies where the lark was. Nought gold where your hair was; Nought warm where your hand was; But phantom, forlorn, Beneath the thorn, Your ghost where your face was. Sad winds where your voice was; Tears, tears where my heart was; And ever with me, Child, ever with me, Silence where hope was.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
- by Walter De la Mare (1873 - 1956), "Autumn", from Poems, first published 1906 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "Autumn", published 1969 [ medium voice and piano (originally set for voice and string quartet) ], from Tit for tat, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Miriam Gideon (1906 - 1996), "Autumn", 1983 [ medium voice and piano (or flute, oboe, vibraphone, violin, and violoncello) ], from Wing'd Hour, no. 5, New York, Peters [sung text not yet checked]
- by Muriel Emily Herbert (1897 - 1984), "Autumn", published <<1940 [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by James W. Langley (b. 1927), "Autumn", published 1960 [ satb chorus a cappella ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Robin Humphrey Milford (1903 - 1959), "Autumn", published 1959 [ soprano, SSA chorus, and string orchestra or piano ], from Days and Moments [sung text not yet checked]
- by Zane Randall Stroope (b. 1953), "Autumn", published 2005 [ voice and piano ], from Love's waning seasons, no. 1, Colla Voce [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Automne", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Herbst", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 15
Word count: 76