Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Nagen am Herzen fühl ich ein Gift mir. Kann sich ein Mädchen, ohne zu fröhnen zärtlichem Hang, fassen ein ganzes wonneberaubtes Leben entlang?
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Georg Friedrich Daumer (1800 - 1875) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Nagen am Herzen fühl ich ein Gift mir", op. 65 no. 9 (1875), published 1875 [ vocal quartet and piano four-hands or instrumental ensemble ], from Neue Liebeslieder, no. 9, Berlin, Simrock [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- AFR Afrikaans [singable] (Robert Schall) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "I feel a poison gnawing at my heart", copyright ©
- ENG English [singable] (Robert Schall) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Sento un veleno rodermi il cuore", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Mimi Ezust
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 23
Gif voel ik knagen diep in mijn hart hier. Kan ooit een meisje, Zonder te voelen eeuwige hang, Voortgaan met leven, Zonder geluk een heel leven lang?
About the headline (FAQ)
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to Dutch (Nederlands) copyright © 2015 by Lau Kanen, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., please ask the copyright-holder(s) directly.
Lau Kanen.  Contact: lcpkanen (AT) gmail (DOT) com
If the copyright-holder(s) are unreachable for three business days, please write to:
This text was added to the website: 2015-04-10
Line count: 5
Word count: 27