Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Liebe Sonne, scheine wieder, Schein' die düstern Wolken nieder! Komm mit deinem goldnen Strahl Wieder über Berg und Thal! Trockne ab auf allen Wegen Ueberall den alten Regen! Liebe Sonne, laß dich sehn, Daß wir können spielen gehn!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben (1798 - 1874), "Beim Regen", appears in Kinderlieder [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ludwig Erk (1807 - 1883), "Beim Regen", published 1874 [ voice and piano ], from Alte und neue Kinderlieder von Hoffmann von Fallersleben, no. 32 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Gustav Jenner (1865 - 1920), "Regen", op. 6 no. 2, published 1900 [ voice and piano ], from Neun Kinderlieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte, no. 2, Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2009-09-09
Line count: 8
Word count: 38
Dear sun, shine again, Shine to subdue the dismal clouds! With your golden beams come again Over mountain and valley! On all the roadways everywhere Dry off the old rain! Dear sun, let yourself be seen, So that we can go out to play!
About the headline (FAQ)Translated titles:
"Beim Regen" = "During the rain"
"Regen" = "Rain"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben (1798 - 1874), "Beim Regen", appears in Kinderlieder
This text was added to the website: 2015-09-25
Line count: 8
Word count: 44