Misero pargoletto, Il tuo destin non sai. Ah! non gli dite mai Qual era il genitor. Come in un punto, oh Dio, Tutto cambiò d'aspetto! Voi foste il mio diletto, Voi siete il mio terror.
About the headline (FAQ)View text with footnotes
Confirmed with Tutte le opere di Pietro Metastasio, Firenze, Tipografia Borghi e compagni 1832, page 246.
The text appears in "Demofoonte", atto III, scena V (Timante's aria).
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1733, appears in Demofoonte [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Misero pargoletto", D 42 (1813?), published 1895 [sung text checked 1 time]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 - 1791), "Misero me . . . Misero pargaletto", K. 77 (1771) [ soprano and orchestra ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Pobre infant", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Unhappy child", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Malheureux enfant", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Laura Prichard) , "Armes Kindlein", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Richard Morris , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 35