Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Non so qual io mi voglia, O viver o morir, per minor doglia Morir vorrei, che 'l viver m'é gravoso Veggendomi da voi esser lasciato; E morir non vorrei, che trapassato Più non vedrei il bel viso amoroso Per cui io piango invidioso Di chi l'ha fatto suo e me ne spoglia!
- by Giovanni Boccaccio (1313 - 1375) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ottorino Respighi (1879 - 1936), "Ballata", P. 71 (1906), from Cinque Canti All'antica, no. 3. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Ballade", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , title 1: "Ballad", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 52
Je ne sais pas ce que je veux, Vivre ou mourir, pour moins souffrir. Je voudrais mourir, car vivre me pèse, En me voyant abandonné par vous ; Mais je ne veux pas mourir, car après ma mort Je ne pourrai plus voir le beau visage adoré, Pour qui je pleure jaloux De qui l'a fait sien et me l'a volé !
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2015 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2015-11-20
Line count: 8
Word count: 62