Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Rosen brach ich nachts mir am dunklen Hage; Süßer hauchten Duft sie als je am Tage; Doch verstreuten reich die bewegten Äste Tau, der mich näßte. Auch der Küsse Duft mich wie nie berückte, Die ich nachts vom Strauch deiner Lippen pflückte: Doch auch dir, bewegt im Gemüt gleich jenen, Tauten die Tränen.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Hans Schmidt (1854 - 1923), "Gereimte sapphische Ode", appears in Gedichte und Übersetzungen, in In antiker Form, Offenbach, no date [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Sapphische Ode", op. 94 (Fünf Lieder für 1 tiefe Stimme -- für 1 hohe Stimme mit Pianoforte) no. 4 (1884), published 1884 [ low voice or high voice and piano ], Berlin, Simrock [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Sapphische ode", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Peter Low) , "Ode in Sapphic metre", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , copyright © 2019
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Ode saffica", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Elisa Rapado) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 53
Roses that I picked in the midnight garden smelt more sweet than in any daylight hour; but there fell down from the moving branches dew, as a gentle shower. So the kiss I plucked in the darkness boldly out-perfumed the sweetest blooms I knew; and so moved were you that I felt on my shoulder tear-drops like a gentle dew.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Peter Low, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hans Schmidt (1854 - 1923), "Gereimte sapphische Ode", appears in Gedichte und Übersetzungen, in In antiker Form, Offenbach, no date
This text was added to the website: 2015-11-26
Line count: 8
Word count: 60