Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Grausam erweiset sich Amor an mir! O, spielet, ihr Musen, Mit den Schmerzen, die er, spielend, im Busen erregt.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Gedichte von Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1813, page 398.
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Vier Jahreszeiten, in Sommer, no. 19 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Grausam erweiset sich Amor", WoO. posth. 24 (1863-?). [vocal quartet of female voices] [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Grausam erweiset sich Amor", op. 113 no. 2, published 1891 [vocal quartet of female voices], from 13 Kanons für Frauenstimmen, no. 2, Leipzig, Peters [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Kwelgeest betoont zich steeds Amor", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , copyright © 2015
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Amour se montre cruel envers moi", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Con me crudele si dimostra Amore", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2005-08-29
Line count: 2
Word count: 19
Amour se montre cruel envers moi ! Oh, Muses, jouez avec la douleur qu'il suscite par jeu dans mon cœur.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2015 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Vier Jahreszeiten, in Sommer, no. 19
This text was added to the website: 2015-12-04
Line count: 2
Word count: 20