Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ahi, già mi discoloro, Oimè vien meno La luce a gli occhi miei, La voce, al seno! O che morte gradita Se almen potessi dir: "Moro, mia vita!“
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Carlo Gesualdo da Venosa (c1561 - 1613), "Ahi, già mi discoloro", published 1596 [chorus], madrigal for five voices [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Ach, es weicht das Licht", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Ah, déjà à moi qui perd mes couleurs", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Bertram Kottmann
This text was added to the website: 2015-12-13
Line count: 7
Word count: 28
Ah, déjà à moi qui perd mes couleurs Parviennent plus faiblement La lumière dans mes yeux, La voix dans mon cœur ! Oh, que la mort soit la bienvenue Si au moins je pouvais dire : « Je meurs, ma vie ! »
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2015 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2015-12-17
Line count: 7
Word count: 43