Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Entfalte des Kelches Pracht, Hörst du die lockenden Töne? Leuchte in weiße Schöne, Königin du der Nacht! Mondlicht zittert im Thal, Wandelt durch ewige Räume, Blaß über Blüten und Träume Huscht ein verschwiegener Strahl. Ach und die Sehnsucht erwacht . . . , Hörst du das Rauschen im Grunde? Träume an meinem Munde, Königin du der Nacht!
- by Karl (or Carl) Busse (1872 - 1918), "Königin der Nacht", appears in Vermischte Gedichte [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hugo Wilhelm Ludwig Kaun (1863 - 1932), "Königin der Nacht", op. 25 (Sechs Lieder) no. 3, published 1899 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Queen of the night", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2011-07-21
Line count: 12
Word count: 57
Unfold the splendor of your calyx, Do you hear the enticing sounds? Shine in white beauty, You queen of the night! Moonlight trembles in the valley, Wanders through the eternal realms, Palely over blossoms and dreams Flits a secretive beam. Ah and longing awakens . . . , Do you hear the soughing in the dale? Dream against my lips, You queen of the night!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Karl (or Carl) Busse (1872 - 1918), "Königin der Nacht", appears in Vermischte Gedichte
This text was added to the website: 2015-12-29
Line count: 12
Word count: 65