Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Se la mia morte brami, crudel, lieto ne moro. E dopo morte ancor te solo adoro. Ma se vuoi che non t'ami, ahi, che a pensarlo solo Il duol m'ancide e l'alma fugge a volo.
- by Torquato Tasso (1544 - 1595) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Carlo Gesualdo da Venosa (c1561 - 1613), "Se la mia morte brami", published 1611 [chorus], madrigal for five voices [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Wenn du meinen Tod begehrst", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (John Glenn Paton) , title 1: "If you desire my death", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Si tu désires ma mort", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Bertram Kottmann
This text was added to the website: 2015-12-13
Line count: 7
Word count: 35
Si tu désires ma mort, Cruelle, alors je mourais heureux. Et même après la mort, seul, je t'adorerai. Mais si tu ne veux pas que je t'aime, Hélas, seulement à y penser La douleur me tue Et mon âme s'enfuit en volant.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2016 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2016-01-04
Line count: 7
Word count: 42