Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Die schäumenden Wellen von Belials Bächen Verdoppeln die Wut. Ein Christ soll zwar wie Wellen stehn, Wenn Trübsalswinde um ihn gehn, Doch suchet die stürmende Flut Die Kräfte des Glaubens zu schwächen.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750), "Die schäumenden Wellen von Belials Bächen", BWV. 81 (1724), in the cantata Jesus schläft, was soll ich hoffen? [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (Ebenezer Prout) , title 1: "The white-foaming billows of Belial's torrents"
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Les vagues écumantes des ruisseaux de Bélial", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 32
Les vagues écumantes des ruisseaux de Bélial Redoublent leur rage. Un chrétien doit se tenir comme un roc, Quand les vents de l'affliction arrivent sur lui, Car le flot tempétueux cherche À affaiblir la force de la foi.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2016 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2016-02-13
Line count: 6
Word count: 38