Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Madame, fille du Roi, jouant avec sa bonne, regarda sa main, en compta les doigts, et, surprise, "Comment", dit l'enfant, "Vous avez cinq doigts, comme moi?"
- by Nicolas-Sébastien Roch (1740 - 1794), as Nicolas Chamfort [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Jean Françaix (1912 - 1997), "Les cinq doigts", 1948, published 1951 [ baritone and piano ], from Huit anecdotes de Chamfort, no. 5, Éd. Max Eschig [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "The five fingers ", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 26
My lady, daughter of the king, playing with her nanny, looked at hand, counted her digits, and, surprised, “How is it,” said the child, “You have five fingers, like me?"
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2016 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Nicolas-Sébastien Roch (1740 - 1794), as Nicolas Chamfort
This text was added to the website: 2016-04-19
Line count: 4
Word count: 30