Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Der Jäger in dem Walde sich suchet seinen Aufenthalt, mit Hund und Wehr wohl hin und her, ob für ihn nichts zu treffen wär. Mein Hündelein ist stets bei mir in diesem grünen Laubgewölb, mein Hündchen wacht, mein Herz es lacht, die Augen gehen hin und her.
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Der Jäger im Walde", WoO. 31 no. 9 (1857), from Volks-Kinderlieder, no. 9. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Le chasseur dans la forêt", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "De jager in de bossen", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , title 1: "The hunter in the forest", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 47
The hunter in the forest searches for a place to whole up, with his dog and gun back and forth, whether or not a perfect place can be found. My little hound is always with me in this green, leafy ardor, my hound is sharp, my heart rejoices, my eyes dart back and forth.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2016-10-22
Line count: 10
Word count: 54