Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Weites, goldenes Ährenmeer Wogt im Wind auf reifen Stengeln. Hufbeschlag und Sensendengeln Klingen fern vom Dorfe her. Warme, düfteschwere Zeit! Zitternd in der Sonne Gluten Wiegen sich die goldnen Fluten Reif und schon zum Schnitt bereit. Fremdling, der ich ohne Pfad Suchend pilgere auf Erden, Wird ich reif befunden werden, Wenn auch mir der Schnitter naht?
G. Schumann sets stanza 1
About the headline (FAQ)
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 157-158, with the title "Sommerwanderung".
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Sommerwanderung", written 1902, appears in Unterwegs, first published 1911 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Friedrich Friedwig Frischenschlager (1885 - 1970), "Erntegesang", op. 47 (1930) [ baritone solo or one-part chorus and four-part men's chorus a cappella ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Julius Gessinger (1899 - 1986), "Sommerwanderung", op. 51 (Vier Hesse-Lieder) no. 1 (1951) [ baritone and piano or string quartet ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hans Krieg (1899 - 1961), "Sommerwanderung", op. 168, published 1960 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hans Müller-Oertling (b. 1902), "Sommerwanderung ", 1979 [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gerhard Schumann (b. 1914), "Sommerwanderung ", stanza 1 [ four-part mixed chorus a cappella ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor] , Pierre Mathé [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-06
Line count: 12
Word count: 56
The broad, golden sea of wheat ears Surges in the wind upon ripe stalks. From the distant village come the sounds of The shoeing of hooves and the whetting of scythes. Warm, scent-laden time! Trembling in the blaze of the sun, The golden floods undulate, Ripe and already prepared for the harvest. Stranger I, who without a pathway, Am searching as I make my earthly pilgrimage, Shall I be found to have achieved ripeness When the reaper approaches me as well?
About the headline (FAQ)Translated titles:
"Ähren" = "Ears of wheat"
"Erntegesang" = "Harvest song"
"Sommerwanderung" = "Summer wandering"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Sommerwanderung", written 1902, appears in Unterwegs, first published 1911
This text was added to the website: 2016-10-23
Line count: 12
Word count: 81