Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Mein Herz, o schließ dich ein! Es nahn die Weihestunden! Nur im Alleinesein hast du dich selbst gefunden. Knospe der Frühlingszeit! verhüllt von weichem Mose ! Es blüht aus Heimlichkeit die allerschönste Rose!
- by Carl Siebel (1836 - 1868) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Carl Loewe (1796 - 1869), "Heimlichkeit", op. 145 no. 4 (1859?), from Liederkranz für die Bassstimme, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Maggie Evans) , "Secrecy", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Secret", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Anne Evans
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 33
Mon cœur, oh, referme-toi ! Les heures solennelles approchent ! Seulement dans la solitude tu as trouvé toi-même Le bourgeon du printemps ! recouvert de douce mousse ! La plus belle de toutes les roses fleurit en secret !
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2016 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2016-11-16
Line count: 4
Word count: 39