Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
To venerate the simple days Which lead the seasons by, Needs but to remember That from you or [me]1 They may take the trifle Termed mortality! To invest existence with a stately air, Needs but to remember That the acorn there Is the egg of forests For the upper air!
E. Bacon sets stanza 1
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Bacon: "I"
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Poems by Emily Dickinson, first published 1896 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ernst Bacon (1898 - 1990), "Simple days", alternate title: "The simple days", published 1944, stanza 1 [voice and piano], from Songs from Emily Dickinson: Nature Time and Space - Volume 1 [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 11
Word count: 50
Pour vénérer les simples jours Qui mènent les saisons Il suffit de se souvenir Qu'à toi ou à moi Ils peuvent prendre la bagatelle Appelée mortalité ! Pour donner à l'existence un air majestueux Il suffit de se souvenir Que le Gland qui est là Est l'œuf des forêts Pour atteindre l'Air d'en haut !
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"The simple days" = "Les simples jours"
"Simple days" = "Simple jours"
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2017 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title, appears in Poems by Emily Dickinson, first published 1896
This text was added to the website: 2017-01-02
Line count: 11
Word count: 55