Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Saggio guerriero antico mai non ferisce in fretta. Esamina il nemico; il suo vantaggio aspetta; né dal calor dell’ira mai trasportar si fa. Muove la destra, il piede, finge, s’avvanza e cede, fin che il momento arriva che vincitor lo fa.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, appears in Adriano in Siria [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Antonio Caldara (1670 - 1736), "Saggio guerriero antico", 1732, first performed 1732, from opera Adriano in Siria [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "A wise warrior, tempered by age", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2018-06-14 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-06-14 13:32:56
Line count: 10
Word count: 41
A wise warrior, tempered by age, never strikes in haste. He scans his foe, bides his time until he has the advantage, and never gets caught up to the heat of wrath. He moves his hand, his foot, feints this way, advances that way, halts, until the moment arrives for him to strike the decisive, victorious blow.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2019 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, appears in Adriano in Siria
Text added to the website: 2019-10-07 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-10-07 11:03:33
Line count: 10
Word count: 57