Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Will keine Freude dich erquicken, Verzehrt das Herz dir Gram und Pein, Dann schau mit den umflorten Blicken In deines Kindes Aug' hinein! In seine Tiefen wird versinken Der Erde tausendfaches Leid; Aus ihm wird dir ein Engel winken, Der Friede deiner Kinderzeit.
Confirmed with Gedichte von Georg Scherer, vierte, vermehrte Auflage, Stuttgart, Leipzig, Berlin, Wien: Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, 1894, page 5
- by Georg Scherer (1824 - 1909), "Kindesauge", appears in Gedichte von Georg Scherer, in 1. Erstes Buch [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ella Adaïewsky (1846 - 1926), "Kindesauge", 1893 [three-part women's chorus a cappella], unpublished [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "The eyes of a child", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2012-06-27
Line count: 8
Word count: 43
If there is no joy to refresh you, If your heart is being consumed by misery and pain, Then with your shrouded gaze look Into the eyes of your child! In their depths shall sink away The thousandfold sorrow of the world; From them an angel shall beckon to you, The peace of your childhood.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Georg Scherer (1824 - 1909), "Kindesauge", appears in Gedichte von Georg Scherer, in 1. Erstes Buch
This text was added to the website: 2017-08-25
Line count: 8
Word count: 55