Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
A prompt - executive Bird is the Jay - Bold as a Bailiff’s Hymn - Brittle and Brief in quality - Warrant in every line - Sitting a Bough like a Brigadier Confident and straight - Much is the mien of him in March As a Magistrate -
About the headline (FAQ)Confirmed with The Poems of Emily Dickinson, ed. R.W. Franklin, Volume 2, Cambridge, MA and London, England: The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1998, Poem 1022 (Version C).
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Julian Philips (b. 1969), "The jay", 1997/2002, published 2007 [high voice and piano], from An Amherst Bestiary, no. 7, Peters Edition [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Sharon Krebs) , "Der Häher", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2014-08-28
Line count: 8
Word count: 48
Le Geai est un oiseau prompt -- directif -- Effronté comme un Hymne d'Huissier -- Cassant et Bref sont ses qualités -- Mandaté de tous côtés -- Posé sur une Branche comme un Brigadier Assuré et direct -- Il a bel aspect en Mars Comme un Magistrat --
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "The jay" = "Le geai"
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2017 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2017-09-12
Line count: 8
Word count: 41