Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
A prompt - executive Bird is the Jay - Bold as a Bailiff’s Hymn - Brittle and Brief in quality - Warrant in every line - Sitting a Bough like a Brigadier Confident and straight - Much is the mien of him in March As a Magistrate -
About the headline (FAQ)Confirmed with The Poems of Emily Dickinson, ed. R.W. Franklin, Volume 2, Cambridge, MA and London, England: The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1998, Poem 1022 (Version C).
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Julian Philips (b. 1969), "The jay", 1997/2002, published 2007 [high voice and piano], from An Amherst Bestiary, no. 7, Peters Edition [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Sharon Krebs) , "Der Häher", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2014-08-28 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-08-28 11:58:19
Line count: 8
Word count: 48
Le Geai est un oiseau prompt -- directif -- Effronté comme un Hymne d'Huissier -- Cassant et Bref sont ses qualités -- Mandaté de tous côtés -- Posé sur une Branche comme un Brigadier Assuré et direct -- Il a bel aspect en Mars Comme un Magistrat --
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "The jay" = "Le geai"
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2017 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2017-09-12 00:00:00
Last modified: 2017-10-04 12:34:47
Line count: 8
Word count: 41