Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Hinweg, mein Aug'! In jener Thalesweite Erlosch das Licht. Einsame Qual, komm du mein Nachtgeleite, Sie liebt mich nicht! Was Menschen je mit Freud' und Lust empfanden Vergaß ich schier, Mein Stolz, und all mein Wesen ward zu Schanden, Was wird aus mir? Muß ich für ewig unauflösbar wähnen Dies Schmerzgewicht? Dem Aug' entstürzt ein Strom von heißen Thränen -- Sie liebt mich nicht!
- by Otto Roquette (1824 - 1896), "Sie liebt mich nicht", appears in Herbstlese [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gustav Eggers (1835 - 1861), "Sie liebt mich nicht", op. 9 (Drei Gesänge) no. 2, published 1862. [voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Carl Pohlig , "Sie liebt mich nicht", op. 2 ( Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung), Heft 3 (Fünf Lieder) no. 3, published 1879 [voice and piano], Kassel, Voigt [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "She loves me not", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2013-09-01
Line count: 12
Word count: 63
Away, my eye! In that valley’s expanse The light has been extinguished. Lonely agony, come, you companion of my nights, She loves me not! What people ever felt with happiness and joy, I have almost completely forgotten, My pride and all my being has been ruined, What shall become of me? Must I forever ineluctably be fated to imagine The weight of this pain? From my eyes plunges a torrent of hot tears -- She loves me not!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Otto Roquette (1824 - 1896), "Sie liebt mich nicht", appears in Herbstlese
This text was added to the website: 2017-09-18
Line count: 12
Word count: 77