Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ho sognato che stavi a' ginocchi, Come un santo che prega il Signor ... Mi guardavi nel fondo degli occhi, Sfavillava il tuo sguardo d'amor. Tu parlavi e la voce sommessa... Mi chiedea dolcemente mercè... Solo un guardo che fosse promessa, Imploravi, curvata al mio piè. Io tacevo e coll'anima forte Il desio tentatore lottò. Ho provato il martirio e la morte pur mi vinsi e ti dissi di no. Ma il tuo labbro sfiorò la mia faccia... E la forza del cor mi tradì. Chiusi gli occhi,ti stesi le braccia... Ma, sognavo...E il bel sogno svanì.
About the headline (FAQ)
Warning: many sources have typos on line 2-4 ("curvato") and line 3-1 ("taceva"), for example, La romanza italiana da salotto, ed. by Francesco Sanvitale, Instituto Nazionale Tostiano, 2002, p. 88.
- by Olindo Guerrini (1845 - 1916), as Lorenzo Stecchetti, first published 1877 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Enrique Mario Casella (1891 - 1948), "Ho sognato", 1915 [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Francesco Paolo Tosti (1846 - 1916), "Sogno" [sung text checked 2 times]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Hugo Poon) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Mario Giuseppe Genesi
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 97
I dreamt that you were on your knees Like a saint praying to the Lord. You were looking deep into my eyes, With a glowing look of love. You were speaking quietly, Asking me sweetly for forgiveness. That she be allowed just one glance, You begged, curled at my feet. I stayed silent and, with a strong will, Fought the irresistible desire. I had faced martyrdom and death; Still, I forced myself to say no. But then your lips touched my face, And my heart betrayed me. I closed my eyes, reached out to you; But I had been dreaming, and that beautiful dream vanished.
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Sogno" = "Dream"
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2017 by Hugo Poon, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Olindo Guerrini (1845 - 1916), as Lorenzo Stecchetti, first published 1877
This text was added to the website: 2017-11-08
Line count: 16
Word count: 105