Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
So lange Schönheit wird bestehn, so lang' auf Erden Augen sehn, wirst du der Liebe nicht entgehn.
- by August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben (1798 - 1874) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "So lange Schönheit wird bestehn", op. 113 no. 6, published 1891 [vocal quartet of female voices], from 13 Kanons für Frauenstimmen, no. 6, Leipzig, Peters [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Zolang er schoonheid zal bestaan", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , copyright © 2015
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2005-08-29
Line count: 3
Word count: 17
As long as Beauty exists, As long as eyes see on earth, You will not escape from Love.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben (1798 - 1874)
This text was added to the website: 2015-11-29
Line count: 3
Word count: 18