Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Arme Schwestern, liebe [Schmerzen, Seid nicht ihr]1 auch Gottesgaben? Aber keiner will euch haben. Wohnet denn in meinem Herzen! Alle Lust der Welt zu haschen, [Gierig bin ich]2 ausgezogen, Kam geplündert, kam betrogen, Müde heim mit leeren Taschen. Die ich einst so sehr verachtet, Liebe Schmerzen, seid gesegnet, Die ihr mir so reich begegnet, Mich so innig nun umnachtet! Heiß durchflutet euer Glühen Meines Blutes dunkle Wogen, Die, von euch [emporgesogen]3, Tiefer atmen, schöner blühen.
About the headline (FAQ)
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada, but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 309.1 Unger: "Schwestern, / Seid ihr nicht"
2 Unger: "Bin ich gierig"
3 Unger: "emporgezogen"
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Liebe Schmerzen", written 1927, first published 1927 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by K. E. Hoffmann , "Liebe Schmerzen" [ voice and piano ], from Sechs Hermann Hesse-Lieder, no. 5 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hermann Unger (1886 - 1958), "Die Schmerzen ", op. 103 no. 3 (1949-51) [ medium voice, flute, oboe, clarinet, and piano ], from Drei Lieder nach ungedruckten Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-14
Line count: 16
Word count: 75
Poor sisters, dear [tribulations]1, Are you not gifts from God as well? But no one wants you. Live then in my heart! Greedily, I set out to grasp All the joys of the world, Plundered I came, deceived I came Home wearily, with empty pockets. You whom I once scorned so much, Dear tribulations, blessed be, You who have befallen me so abundantly, Who so intimately shroud me now in night! Your glowing fervently floods through The dark waves of my blood, Which, [sucked]2 upward by you, Breathe more deeply, bloom more beautifully.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Translations of title(s):
"Die Schmerzen" = "Tribulations"
"Liebe Schmerzen" = "Dear tribulations"
2 Unger: "drawn"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Liebe Schmerzen", written 1927, first published 1927
This text was added to the website: 2018-01-16
Line count: 16
Word count: 93