Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Mädchen entsiegelten, Brüder! die Flaschen; Auf! die geflügelten Freuden zu haschen, Locken und Becher von Rosen umglüht. Auf! eh die moosigen Hügel uns winken, Wonne von rosigen Lippen zu trinken; Huldigung Allem, was jugendlich blüht!
Confirmed with Gedichte von Friedrich von Matthisson. Erster Theil. Tübingen, bei Cotta, 1811, page 150; with Gedichte von Friedrich Matthisson. Dritte vermehrte Auflage. Zürich, 1794 bey Orell, Gessner, Füssli & Comp., page 114; and with Musen-Almanach für 1794, herausgegeben von Joh. Heinr. Voß, Hamburg, bey C.E.Bohn, page 116.
First published 1792 in a different version with the title Trinklied; see below.
- by Friedrich von Matthisson (1761 - 1831), "Skolie", written 1791?, first published 1792 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Skolie", D 507 (1816), published 1895 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Johann Rudolf Zumsteeg (1760 - 1802), "Skolie", published 1803, from Kleine Balladen und Lieder, Heft V, no. 18 [sung text checked 1 time]
Set in a modified version by Johann Xaver Sterkel.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Cançó de banquet", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Skolion", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Drinking song", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Scolie", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 36
The girls have uncorked The bottles, brothers! Up! the winged Joys need to be captured, Locks of hair and beakers are glowing with roses all around. Up! before the mossy Hills summon us, Take delight in pink Lips, drink in the delight; Pay hommage to everything that is blooming with youth!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich von Matthisson (1761 - 1831), "Skolie", written 1791?, first published 1792
This text was added to the website: 2018-01-25
Line count: 10
Word count: 51