Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Das ist das Glück: am Feierabend müd Im Bänklein sitzen und ins Weite lauschen, Wo am Gebirg der Abendglast verglüht Und ferne [Wälder]1 ihren Frieden rauschen. Hinträumend wandelt in die alten Zeit Und scheu dein stillgewordner Wunsch zurück Zu lang verglühten Träumen, Wonnen, Leiden Und Jugendhoffnungen ...... Das war das Glück.
Confirmed with Unterwegs. Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, München: Georg Müller Verlag, 1911, page 42.1 "Ströme" in a later publication (Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 159)
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Feierabend", written 1905, appears in Unterwegs, first published 1911 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Heinrich Pestalozzi (1878 - 1940), "Feierabend", op. 42 no. 1 [four-part mixed chorus a cappella], from Vier gemischte Chöre a cappella, no. 1. [ sung text not verified ]
- by August Reuss (1871 - 1935), "Feierabend", op. 36 (Acht Lieder) no. 7, published <<1920. [voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Feierabend", 1980? [voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "In the evening after work", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Fin de journée", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor] , Pierre Mathé [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2013-03-04
Line count: 8
Word count: 51
That is happiness: weary after a day of work To sit on a little bench and listen into the distance, To where the evening glow is extinguished upon the mountains And distant [forests sough]1 their peace. Dreaming and shy, your now-silent wish wanders Into the olden times and back To long extinguished dreams, joys, sorrows And hopes of youth ...... That was happiness.
1 "rivers rush" in a later publication
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Feierabend", written 1905, appears in Unterwegs, first published 1911
This text was added to the website: 2018-02-06
Line count: 8
Word count: 63