Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Sogna il guerrier le schiere, Le selve il cacciator; E sogna il pescator Le reti e l'amo. Sopito in dolce obblio, Sogno pur io così Colei, che tutto il dì sospiro e chiamo.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Tutte le opere di Pietro Metastasio, Firenze, Tipografia Borghi e compagni 1832, page 140.
The text appears in Artaserse, atto I, scena VI, Aria di Megabise.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1730, appears in Artaserse [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Pasquale Anfossi (1727 - 1797), "Sogna il guerrier le schiere" [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Giovanni Adolfo Hasse (1699 - 1783), "Sogna il guerrier le schiere", 1730, first performed 1730 [ strings, soprano voice, and continuo ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gioacchino Antonio Rossini (1792 - 1868), "Metastasio (pour album)" [ baritone and piano ], from Péchés de vieillesse, Vol XIV: Altri Péchés de vieillesse, no. 10 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Leonardo Vinci (1690 - 1730), "Sogna il guerrier le schiere", HelN 78 no. 5 (1730), first performed 1730 [ 2 trumpets, 2 horns, soprano voice, strings, and continuo ], from opera Artaserse, no. 5 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "The warrior dreams of soldiers", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-30
Line count: 8
Word count: 33
The warrior dreams of soldiers, The hunter of forests, And likewise the fisherman dreams of nets and hooks. Asleep in sweet oblivion, I likewise dream: On her about whom all day I sigh and whose name I call.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1730, appears in Artaserse
This text was added to the website: 2018-03-30
Line count: 8
Word count: 38