Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Flüchtig wie auf hohen Matten Einer Wolke scheuer Schatten Rührte mich mit leisem Wehe Deiner Schönheit stille Nähe. Zwischen Traum und Traum zuweilen Will das Leben mich ereilen, Glänzt so gold und lockt so heiter, Und erlischt - ich träume weiter. Träume von den Augenblicken Des Erwachens - von Geschicken, Deren Schatten ob mir liefen, Während meine Augen schliefen.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 55.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Lulu", written 1899, appears in Neue deutsche Lyriker III , in Buch der Liebe, first published 1919 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Horst Joachim Japtok , "Lulu" [ voice and piano ], from Drei Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Lulu", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Lulu", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-15
Line count: 12
Word count: 59
Fleetingly, as if on the lofty meadows Of the timid shadows of a cloud, The quiet nearness of your beauty Moved me with a gentle aching. Between dream and dream sometimes Life wishes to fall upon me, It glows so golden and entices so merrily, And expires -- I dream on. Dream of the moments Of awakening -- of fates Whose shadows passed over me While my eyes slept.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Lulu", written 1899, appears in Neue deutsche Lyriker III , in Buch der Liebe, first published 1919
This text was added to the website: 2018-05-19
Line count: 12
Word count: 67