Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
O céu, azul de luz quieta. As ondas brandas a quebrar, Na praia lúcida e completa - Pontos de dedos a brincar. No piano anónimo da praia Tocam nenhuma melodia De cujo ritmo por fim saia Todo o sentido deste dia. Que bom, se isto satisfizesse! Que certo, se eu pudesse crer Que esse mar e essas ondas e esse Céu têm vida e têm ser.
- by Fernando António Nogueira Pessoa (1888 - 1935), "O céu, azul de luz quieta" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by José Manuel Joly Braga Santos (1924 - 1988), "O céu, azul de luz quieta", published 2010, copyright © 2010 [high voice and piano], from Seis poemas de Fernando Pessoa : para canto e piano, no. 3, Lisboa : AvA Musical Editions [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "O sky, the blue of your quiet light", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2017-07-01
Line count: 12
Word count: 66
O sky, the blue of your quiet light, the soft waves breaking on the luminous and full beach-- playing with our toetips. One the beach's nameless keyboard, they play no melody-- all the feeling this day has brought their rhythm finally leaves behind. How good, if this could satisfy! How true, if I could believe that that sea and those waves and that heaven-- that they have life and being.
- Translation from Portuguese (Português) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Portuguese (Português) by Fernando António Nogueira Pessoa (1888 - 1935), "O céu, azul de luz quieta"
This text was added to the website: 2018-05-30
Line count: 12
Word count: 70