Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Fra l'ombre un lampo solo Basta al nocchier sagace Che già ritrova il polo, Che riconosce il mar. Al pellegrin ben spesso basta un vestigio impresso perché la via fallace non l’abbia ad ingannar.
N. Vaccaj sets stanza 1
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, written 1737, appears in Achille in Sciro [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Antonio Caldara (1670 - 1736), "Fra l'ombre un lampo solo", 1736, first performed 1736, from the opera Achille in Sciro [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Nicola Vaccaj (1790 - 1848), "Intervalli di settima", stanza 1, from Metodo pratico di Canto Italiano, no. 6. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Alberto Pedrotti , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 34
The wise helmsman only needs one flash of lightning to find the correct pole and recognize the sea on which he treads in the shade. Quite often, the pilgrim only needs a vestigial remembrance imprinted in his mind to not be led astray by a fallible route.
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Fra l'ombre un lampo solo" = "Amongst the shades"
"Intervalli di settima" = "Sevenths"
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2018 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, written 1737, appears in Achille in Sciro
This text was added to the website: 2018-06-07
Line count: 10
Word count: 47