Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
I love, alas, I love thee, my dainty darling. Come kiss me then, Amaryllis, More lovely than sweet Phyllis.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author, "I love, alas, I love thee" [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Thomas Morley (1557 - 1602), "I love, alas, I love thee" [soprano, alto, tenor, baritone, bass] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Je t'aime, hélas, je t'aime", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2018-11-09 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-11-09 03:13:26
Line count: 3
Word count: 19
Je t'aime, hélas, je t'aime, ma mignonne chérie. Viens m'embrasser alors, Amaryllis, Plus adorable que la douce Phyllis.
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2018 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist, "I love, alas, I love thee"
Text added to the website: 2018-11-12 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-11-12 02:47:00
Line count: 3
Word count: 18