Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Ein sanftes Glockenspiel tönt in Elis' Brust Am Abend, Da sein Haupt ins schwarze Kissen sinkt. Ein blaues Wild Blutet leise im Dornengestrüpp. Ein brauner Baum steht abgeschieden da; Seine blauen Früchte fielen von ihm. Zeichen und Sterne Versinken leise im Abendweiher. Hinter dem Hügel ist es Winter geworden. Blaue Tauben Trinken nachts den eisigen Schweiß, Der von Elis' kristallener Stirne rinnt. Immer tönt An schwarzen Mauern Gottes einsamer Wind.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), no title, appears in Sebastian im Traum, in Elis, no. 2 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Jacques G. Goosen (b. 1952), "Elis 2", 1976, from Georg-Trakl-Lieder, no. 3. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Elis 2", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
Text added to the website: 2008-08-15 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:51
Line count: 15
Word count: 70
A gentle glockenspiel rings in Elis' breast in the evening, when his head sinks into the black pillow. A blue deer softly bleeds in the thorn bush. A brown tree stands there in isolation; its blue fruits have fallen from it. Signs and stars silently sink in the evening pond. Beyond the hill it has turned winter. At night blue doves drink the icy sweat that runs from Elis' crystal brow. Forever God's lonely wind wails along black walls.
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Elis 2" = "Elis 2"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), no title, appears in Sebastian im Traum, in Elis, no. 2
Text added to the website: 2018-11-20 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-11-20 21:30:27
Line count: 15
Word count: 79