Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Immer wieder kehrst du Melancholie, O Sanftmut der einsamen Seele. Zu Ende glüht ein goldener Tag. Demutsvoll beugt sich dem Schmerz der Geduldige Tönend von Wohllaut und weichem Wahnsinn. Siehe! es dämmert schon. Wieder kehrt die Nacht und klagt ein Sterbliches Und es leidet ein anderes mit. Schaudern unter herbstlichen Sternen Neigt sich jährlich tiefer das Haupt.
- by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), "In ein altes Stammbuch", appears in Gedichte 1909 -1913  [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by François Glorieux , "In ein altes Stammbuch", published 1967, from Traklgedichte, no. 1. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Felix Wolfes (1892 - 1971), "In ein altes Stammbuch", 1965. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "Into an old friendship book", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Dans un vieil album de famille", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "In un vecchio album di famiglia", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 57
Again and again you return, melancholy, o, meekness of the lonely soul. A golden day glows to its end. Humbly the patient one bows to grief resounding with harmony and mellow madness. Look! It is already dusking. Again night descends and a mortal laments and another shares his sorrow. Shivering under autumn stars the head bends deeper year by year.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Georg Trakl (1887 - 1914), "In ein altes Stammbuch", appears in Gedichte 1909 -1913
This text was added to the website: 2018-11-28
Line count: 10
Word count: 60