Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Luna fedel tu chiama col raggio ed io col suon, la fulgida mia dama sul gotico veron. E se potrò vederla o luna, astro fatal, Ti chiamerò la perla dell'etra sideral. Dirò che sei d'argento, d'opale, d'ambra e d'or, dirò che incanti il vento e che innamori i fior. Dirò ch'abbelli il verso del biondo menestrel, che sei lo specchio terso degli angeli nel ciel. Ma se veder mi niega, o luna, astro fatal, dirò che sei la strega dell'ombra funeral; Piomba, dirò nell'alvo frenetico del mar, teschio beffardo e calvo, maschera da giullar! Scudo tarlato e lercio, fantasima del sol, spettro paffuto e guercio dal faticoso vol.
L. Denza sets stanzas 1-4
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Arrigo Enrico Boito (1842 - 1918) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ferruccio Busoni (1866 - 1924), "Ballatella", op. 30 no. 4, published 1884 [voice and piano], from Album Vocale, no. 4, M. V. Vicentini [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Luigi Denza (1846 - 1922), "Luna fedel", stanzas 1-4. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Garrett Medlock) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2014-09-25
Line count: 28
Word count: 108
Faithful moon, you call With the ray and I with the sound My shining woman On the Gothic balcony. And if I could see her, Oh moon, fatal star, I will call you the pearl Of the starry sky. I will say that you are of silver, Of opal, of amber and of gold, I will say that you charm the wind And that you enchant the flowers. I will say that you adorn the verse Of the blond minstrel That you are the clear mirror Of the angels in heaven.1 [...] [...] [...]
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Translations of title(s):
"Luna fedel" = "Faithful moon"
"Ballatella" = "Ballatella"
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2019 by Garrett Medlock, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2019-01-14
Line count: 19
Word count: 94