Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
La violetta ch'en su l'erbetta apre al mattin novella di' non è cosa tutt'odorosa tutta leggiadra e bella? Sì certamente che dolcemente elle ne spira odori e n'empie il petto di bel diletto col bel de suoi colori.
- by Gabriello Chiabrera (1552 - 1638), "La violetta" [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Antonio Cifra (c1584 - 1629), "La violetta" [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "La violetta", published 1607 [vocal trio], from Scherzi Musicali a tre voci, no. 11. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "The violet", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "La violette", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Das Veilchen", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2008-01-31 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:35
Line count: 12
Word count: 38
La violette Qui se trouve sur l'herbe S'ouvre au nouveau matin. Dites, n'est-elle pas Toute odorante, Toute gracieuse et belle ? Si, certainement, Doucement elle exhale son parfum Et emplit le cœur Du beau bien-aimé De la beauté de ses couleurs.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2019 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Gabriello Chiabrera (1552 - 1638), "La violetta"
Text added to the website: 2019-02-08 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-02-08 09:48:57
Line count: 12
Word count: 41