Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
[Dovrò dunque morire, a che di nuovo io miri]1 voi, bramata cagion de miei martiri? Mio perduto tesoro, non [poter]2 dirvi, pria ch'io mora: "Io Moro"? O miseria inaudita, non poter dir a voi: "Moro, mia vita".
1 Caccini: "Dovrò dunque morire? / Pria che di nuovo io miri"
2 Caccini: "potrò"
- by Ottavio Rinuccini (1562 - 1621), from Man. Magliabechiano [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Giulio Caccini (1546 - 1618), "Dovrò dunque morire?", published 1601, from Le nuove musiche, no. 11. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Sigismondo d'India (1582? - 1629?), "Dovrò dunque morire", 1615, from Il Terzo Libro de Madrigali, no. 3. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Huth) , "Must I then die?", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Dois-je donc mourir", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: John Versmoren
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 7
Word count: 37
Dois-je donc mourir avant de vous avoir vue à nouveau, cause désirée de ma souffrance ? Mon trésor perdu, ne puis-je vous dire, avant de mourir : « Je meurs »? Ô malheur inouï, de ne pas pouvoir vous dire : « Je meurs, ma vie ».
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2019 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Ottavio Rinuccini (1562 - 1621), from Man. Magliabechiano
This text was added to the website: 2019-03-08
Line count: 7
Word count: 47