Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Dolcissimi legami di parole amorose, che mi legò da scherz'e non mi scioglie. Così egli dunque scherz'e così coglie? Così l'alme legate sono ne le catene insidiose? Almen chi sì m'allaccia mi leg'ancor fra quelle dolci braccia.
- by Torquato Tasso (1544 - 1595) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Dolcissimi legami", published 1590 [ vocal quintet], from Libro II de madrigali, no. 3, madrigal [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Liens très doux", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Süße Bande", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2008-09-02
Line count: 8
Word count: 37
Süße Bande aus Liebesworten in die er mich scherzend verstrickte und nicht mehr losließ. Scherzt er so und überrumpelt er auf diese Weise? Werden so die Seelen tückisch in Ketten gefangen? Würde doch wenigstens der, der mich so fesselt, erneut mich in die lieben Arme schließen.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2019 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2019-03-19
Line count: 8
Word count: 46