Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Some say goodnight — at night — I say goodnight by day — Good-bye — the Going utter me — Goodnight, I still reply — For parting, that is night, And presence, simply dawn — Itself, the purple on the height Denominated morn.
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), written 1863 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Jake Heggie (b. 1961), "Goodnight", first performed 2014 [ soprano, piano ], from Newer Every Day: Songs for Kiri, no. 5 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Bonne nuit", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-03-14
Line count: 8
Word count: 43
Man sagt ‚Gutnacht‘ - bei Nacht - ich sag ‚Gutnacht‘ bei Tag - ‚Adieu‘ sagt mir der Scheidende dennoch ‚Gutnacht‘ ich sag, - denn Nacht ist wie das Gehn. Bleiben ist Tags Beginn an sich, wie Purpur auf den Höhn weist auf den Morgen hin.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from English to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2019 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2019-10-15
Line count: 8
Word count: 45