Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
In trutina mentis dubia fluctuant contraria lascivus amor et pudicitia. Sed eligo, quod video, collum iugo prebeo; ad iugum tamen suave transeo.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author, appears in Carmina Burana: Cantiones profanae, first published c1300 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Carl Orff (1895 - 1982), "In trutina mentis dubia ", 1935-6 [ soprano ], from Carmina Burana, no. 21 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Benjamin Oblitas Mollinedo) , "On my mind's vacillating scales", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Benjamin Oblitas Mollinedo) , "Dans mon esprit, balance flottante", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Nella bilancia del cuore (Soprano)", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Saúl Botero Restrepo) , "En la balanza de mi mente", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
Text added to the website: 2011-04-25 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:20
Line count: 6
Word count: 22
Dans mon esprit, balance flottante, contraires s'opposent, amour lascif et retenue. Or je choisi ce que je vois et au joug j'offre mon cou et au suave joug je m’enchaîne.
- Translation from Latin to French (Français) copyright © 2020 by Benjamin Oblitas Mollinedo, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Latin by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist, appears in Carmina Burana: Cantiones profanae, first published c1300
Text added to the website: 2020-01-12 00:00:00
Last modified: 2020-01-12 16:38:14
Line count: 6
Word count: 30