Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Sorgt für die Zukunft! Sorgt bei Zeiten! Seufzt augendrehend Herr Filint, Und läßt sich seinen Sarg bereiten, Weil jetzt die Bretter wohlfeil sind.
Confirmed with Muster und Übungsblätter zur Bildung des Ausdrucks und Geschmacks: mit einer Methodik als Anhang, von Karl Schüelein, Professor in Speyer, Speyer und Heidelberg, Verlag von August Oßwald, 1825, page 41. No author indicated, but Zumsteeg's score indicates the author as "J. F. A. B-r".
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author ( partial name: J. F. A. B-r ) , "Vorbereitung zum Tode" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johann Rudolf Zumsteeg (1760 - 1802), "Vorbereitung zum Tode", published 1805, from Kleine Balladen und Lieder, Heft VII, no. 15 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Preparation for Death", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Laura Prichard [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 23
Prepare for the future in a timely way! Sighs Mister Philint, rolling his eyes, And has his coffin built, Because now - boards are cheap.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist, "Vorbereitung zum Tode"
This text was added to the website: 2020-03-30
Line count: 4
Word count: 25